This marinade is amazing with absolutely everything. It is supposed to be for chicken wings, but there’s something a bit barbaric and satisfying when you cut a chicken in half and slap it on the grill.
I feel a bit less barbaric and more damsel-in-distress when my tiny barbecue doesn’t want a chicken slapped onto it and shoots two feet of flames at me. Thankfully there was water nearby and the
burnt char added a really great flavour.
It took about 30-40 minutes to cook this little monster on my grill. If you had a bit more fire power it may be quicker. I would also suggest smoking it if you have the capabilities. Serve with lots of extra napkins!
Spicy Kick Ass Spatchcock Chicken
1 whole chicken (ideally deboned and flattened) 3-5lb
1 cup tomato sauce (I used this recipe instead) – Umami Paste
1/4 cup lime juice, about two
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Dijon
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chopped ginger
1 tablespoon sambal oelec or siracha hot sauce
salt + pepper
1. Combine all ingredients together in a pot. Bring to a boil and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved.
2. Let cool and add to chicken in zip-lock bag or bowl. Marinade 5-24 hours.
3. Bring grill to 400˚ sear chicken for 5 minutes a side. Bring temperature down to 300 or cook on indirect heat for another 45-60 minutes, or until thermometer reads ###.
4. Meanwhile, reduce the marinade on the stovetop until bubbly. You can reduce it further, maybe add a bit of honey if you want a sweeter sauce, it really just is for the chicken guts to disappear.
5. Let chicken rest about 10 minutes and dig in!