I’m a sucker for a good salad. If here’s local cheese, fried anything or flowers in it, I’m sold. On the other hand however, a really simple and delicious salad is a thing of beauty too.
If you have a few awesome ingredients, flavours that rock and it makes you excited to eat lunch, that’s something to brag about too.
I was at a take-away counter and noticed their salad bar. My general rule is, if it cost more to buy the ingredients for something, I’ll just buy it pre made, otherwise I’ll try to make it myself. This particular salad that caught my eye just poked like beets. Definitely a DIY contender. I asked what the ingredients were and it was pretty much just beets. And horseradish. It seemed really plain and simple, I didn’t think much of it, until I got home and remembered a beet salad my mom had made.
It was really good, but it didn’t’ have a spicy element. Bring in: horseradish. It worked so well!Everything was balanced, all the flavours blended perfectly. It may just be my new favourite salad. It took about 15 minutes to throw together, minus roasting the beets. (You can make cookies or something equally as productive during this time)
Be warned though, beets are red well, your toilet will be a lovely shade of fuscia if you eat this salad everyday for lunch like me. You have been warned, it took me a few days to clue into the adverse effect.
Roasted Beet Salad With Horseradish Feta + Greens
Inspired by Primal Cuts
1 tablespoon horse radish
2 teaspoons maple syrup
salt + pepper
1. Whisk all ingredients together. Set aside, or put into the bottom of serving bowl.
1 cup kale or swiss chard (any hearty green) cut into ribbons
1/4 cup crumbled feta
2 tablespoons fresh basil, cut into ribbons
1. Preheat oven to 400˚. Place washed beets into cast iron skillet and roast for about 1-2 hours, depending on size. Beets should yield a knife easily when they’re done.
2. Let beets cool to handle. Peel with a paring knife and cut into quarters. About 1″ pieces, again depending on the size of the beets, your sizing might vary. Put beets into salad dressing/serving bowl.
3. Sprinkle greens, basil and crumbled feta overtop of beets.
4. Toss with dressing when ready to serve.