Ok guys, this is inspired by one of my favourite cakes; the original has been in my arsenal for a few years actually, with a different variation each time I make it. This healthy blueberry version is probably the one with the best feed-back.
I’m quite proud with this version being so healthy. It’s full of grains and finer and there’s not butter. I know, I couldn’t believe it either. The moistness from the yogurt, the warming spices form the cinnamon, and fresh, sweet blueberries accented with lemon combined harmoniously to create a delicious cake. The healthy part was just an added bonus. I will say, the topping may be almost entirely sugar, but it’s just so good; I couldn’t resist.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, or combination of oats, quinoa flour, wheat germ etc
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups fresh or frozen, thawed and drained blueberries
- 2 tablespoons plus
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces, or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and topped
Brown Sugar Glaze
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Put 2 tablespoons of the whole wheat flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon in a medium bowl and mix together with a fork or your fingers until well combined and mixture is in large clumps; set aside.
- Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, vanilla and eggs then pour into bowl with dry ingredients and stir until combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and sprinkle reserved streusel over the top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center cake comes out clean, 40-60 minutes. Prepare glaze and drizzle as soon as cake comes out of the oven.
- Cool completely before serving.